top of page
pexels-viniciusvieirafotografia-26524274.jpg

Friends of Laurel Park Board Meeting

The board will meet to the 2nd Tuesday of every month.

May 15, 2024

 

The meeting was called to order by Ed Mattern at 7:01pm at the Fleetwood Clubhouse.  Other board members in attendance were Susan Hileman, Mike Erwin, Jim Wilson, Ann McFadden and Myra Watkins.  Deb Bridges, Town Council liaison to FLP also attended. 

 

GUESTS

We had one guest, Curt Kruger, who is a new resident.

 

PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE    

Ed thanked every board member for all they do, there is a lot going on.

 

SECRETARY’S REPORT, TREASURER’S REPORT AND 2024 OPERATION BUDGET

All reports were approved.   Susan will send just the mission statement page from the Board Retreat to Ed.

 

BOARD RETREAT WRAP

All agreed it was time well-spent.

 

SURVEY – ANN

Ann reported that she prepared a “survey results” document that can be posted online.  It was agreed that the document was a great first draft that could potentially be shortened a bit.  Susan volunteered to meet with Ann to wordsmith collaboratively.

Ann also reiterated the responsibility FLP has to respond to survey comments that were negative.  Ed will try to address these.  Ed will also talk to the town council and coordinate responses to concerns that are town responsibility.  

It was noted that Blackboard connect (Town issue) is still not widely used.

 

BICYCLING INTERESTS

Joe Sanders will handle all queries.  He’s excited to train cyclists about riding on small roads.  Ed will talk to him and see if he wants to set up an event for August.

 

DATA COLLECTION – MYRA

Myra sent new updates to her spreadsheets this afternoon and the other board members thanked her.

 

SPONSORS – JIM AND MYRA

Thank you letters and tax documents have been sent to all sponsors to date.  Jim checked on the grant check from HCTDA and it was mailed last week.

 

DONOR LETTER

Ed reported he has revised the letter and included a picture.  The board quickly approved the new format.  Ann will handle getting it printed which will include the one page letter plus the donation page and a return envelope. It will be printed in color.

 

THANK YOU CARDS FOR DONORS – ANN

Ann will include the tax document with the thank you’s.  She has a few volunteers and most board members are willing to help writing personal notes.  The donor letter will go out the end of May so the thank you’s will probably be written around the beginning of July.

 

VOLUNTEERS

Ann reported we are up to 125 survey respondents 47 of which indicated an interest in volunteering.

Susan is sending out personalized emails to all who expressed interest in volunteering and Ed is particularly hoping to get help for the next JOR concert setup.

 

NATURE WALK WRAP – MIKE

Mike reported that 2 volunteers from the Lakemoor condos talked about the stream restoration.  There was a very low turnout even though many of the survey respondents seemed to be interested in nature walks.  Deb suggested we look into putting events on the Conserving Carolinas calendar or perhaps creating listserves for the various activities.

 

JOR HALF MARATHON WRAP

Ed thanked the board members who volunteered.  There were a total of 20 volunteers which means that Idaph will become a sponsor at $787.50.  The number of runners decreased from last year, maybe because it was on Mother’s Day weekend, but the organizers are already planning for a 5th event next year.

 

JOR CONCERT WRAP 

Mike counted around 270-280 people in attendance.  Everyone seemed to have had a great time.

 

GIFT FOR TAMARA

Ed reported that Tamara called 19 Food Trucks when Susan’s church food truck had to back out.  Such a great effort!  The board agreed to send flowers and Ed will pick them up and deliver them.   It was agreed to spend up to $75.

 

SAVE THE DATE CARDS

Ann reported that she priced out two different sizes; the larger one was only $80 more expensive and seemed like the best deal.  The quoted price of $783.98 would include printing the cards and mailing them to all LP residences.  The board approved.

The 1st card will go out the beginning of June for a 4 month period (June-September).  Chief Trotter and the Town may have activities that can be included and Ann will check before sending the draft to the printer.

YOGA

The JOR yoga started in May, although attendance has been sparse perhaps due to the cool weather.

 

NEXT CONCERT – JUNE 8TH 

Ed reported that the band’s fiddler has been ill and might not be able to play.  He’s played at JOR before and always enjoyed it, so hopefully he will be able to make it.

 

FOOD TRUCKS

Ed reported that the food truck Post64 is all set for the June concert.  Susan will check back with her church to see if they can do September and then Jim has a bbq truck all set for October.

 

50AMP OUTLET

Ed reported that most food trucks can run on a generator or a 50 amp outlet.  Generators are noisy so the 50amp outlet would be a good solution.  Ed got a quote from BF Stepp Electric who recently completed electrical work at JOR and the estimate was $500. Ed will get another quote and will also ask the Town to pay half.

Our guest Curt suggested we ask for a donation from the electric company and then put an “installed by” sign up.

 

HISTORY TOUR

Ed checked with the tour bus company and they are open for most of July and August.   The board wants 1 bus to make 2 tours and July 20th was approved.

 

 

CENTENNIAL COMMITTEE – JIM

Jim reported that much progress is being made.  The committee has agreed to donor levels and a separate Fundraising committee will start meeting soon.  Some events have been set including the Gala at country club March 1st and a July 5th picnic possibly at Laurel Green or Rhododendron Lake.  The cost of the picnic varies widely depending on attendance; 400 attendees would cost approximately $17,000 while if 1,000 attended the cost jumps to $36,000.  Jim also reported that the committee discussed the feasibility of a centennial bear in downtown Hendersonville in 2025.  The consensus was this would be a desirable marketing opportunity and an artist search should begin.

 

NEW BOARD MEMBERS

Mike reached out to one person who is not interested at this time.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

Ann brought up the Annual Report and asked if the board wants to do one this year; the board agreed to consider it at a later meeting.  She also mentioned that the FLP banner now says “become a friend” which is outdated.  Ed will check on getting a new banner and the pricing involved.

 

 

ADJOURNMENT AND NEXT MEETING

The meeting was adjourned at 8:58pm.  The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday June 12, 2024 at the Fleetwood Clubhouse.  As a note, after June, the board will try to meet every 2nd Tuesday.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Susan Hileman, Secretary

bottom of page